Sorry, we're closed

Marsden Road Health Centre, Marsden Road, South Shields, Tyne and Wear, NE34 6RE | Telephone: 0191 283 2861

Wawn Street Surgery, Wawn Street, South Shields, Tyne and Wear, NE33 4DX | Telephone: 0191 454 2211

Information for Transgender Patients

Information for Trans Patients – Or those wishing to change their name, title and / or gender on their NHS records

We are proud to have you as our patient.

We support all patient groups and are committed to accessibility and inclusion but we also know we may not always get things right. If there is anything you think we can improve or change to make accessing our services easier for you, please let us know.


We hold your medical records in the strictest confidence, regardless of whether they are electronic or paper. We take all reasonable precautions to prevent unauthorised access to your records. Access to medical records is audited. Your NHS records are only shared with our Practice team and other organisations directly involved in your care that have a genuine need for it e.g. community health services, hospitals, mental health services, social care, NHS 111. We will not share your information with any other third party without your permission unless it is an exceptional situation (e.g. life or death situation) or where the law tells us to. For more information on how your data is shared and stored by the NHS, including opting out of sharing data, please click here.

Changing your name on your NHS records

Please fill out a change of name form available here or at reception. Please hand the paper form into reception. This name will be used by staff, on the automated call-in screen, and communications from the Practice e.g. SMS, letters, email. You can request to change it at any time, however we will ask for proof of your new name.  If you haven’t been issued with a Gender Recognition Certificate (GRC) then you’ll need to change your name by deed poll.  In​‌‌‌​‌‌ ​‌‌‌​‌​fact​‌‌‌​‌​,​‌‌‌​‌‌ ​‌​‌‌‌‌changing​‌‌​​​​ ​‌‌​​‌‌your​‌‌​​‌‌ ​‌‌​​​​name​‌‌‌​​‌ ​‌‌‌​​‌should​‌‌​‌‌​ ​‌‌‌‌​​be​‌‌‌​‌​ ​‌‌​​‌‌an​‌​‌​‌‌ ​‌‌‌​‌‌important​‌​‌​‌​ ​‌‌​‌​​step​​​‌‌‌ ​​‌‌‌​in​​‌‌​‌ ​​‌​​‌proving​​​‌‌​ ​​‌​​‌that​​‌​​​ you’re living in your new gender, before applying for a GRC.

Changing your title on your NHS records

You can change your title from Mr to Mx, or Miss, Mrs, Ms to Mx without changing your gender

If you want to change your title from Miss, Mrs, Ms to Mr, or Mr to Miss, Mrs, Ms. You will have to change your gender on your NHS records too.

The NHS computer system is currently binary and the only titles it currently accepts with a male gender marker are Mr or Mx. The only titles the computer system accepts with a female gender marker are Mx/Miss/Mrs/Ms. This computer system and titles available are set nationally and are out of our hands. If you wish to choose another title, we can add an alert to your notes, so we as a Practice know your gender identity, please discuss with any staff member.

Changing your gender marker on your NHS records to male or female

You can do this at any time, by completing a change of details form and you do not have to have undergone any form of gender reassignment treatment. You must be aware that changing your gender will mean you will be allocated a new NHS number, and your pre-exisiting NHS number will no longer be accessible or be reversible.

Your new medical record will be completely blank, with none of your previous medical history, COVID vaccinations, medication etc. saved onto it.

If you use the NHS App you will need to set this up again in your new NHS identity.

If, having received a new medical record in a new gender identity, you decide to return to your previous gender identity, you will not be able to go back to your original NHS number. You will be issued with another new medical record and new NHS number.

How long will the process take?

A new NHS number can take up to 4 months to come through to us, once we notify PCSE . Once we receive your new NHS number, we will create a new registration for you at the practice within five days, and will aim to add relevant data from your old records to your new records (excluding any information related to your previous identity) in a timely manner to ensure minimal disruption to your care.

We suggest you order two months supply of your medication beforehand.

You should be informed of your new NHS number by PCSE. If you do not receive this, please contact us and we can give it to you. You may need to inform any hospitals you are under (e.g. waiting for an appointment, surgery or treatment) of your new NHS number so they can update your records.

Cancer screening tests

Unfortunately, currently national cancer screening test invitations are sent out based on the gender marker on your NHS records. This system is currently binary and only accepts a male or female gender marker on NHS medical notes. This is a national decision and out of our hands. If you wish to choose non-binary or another gender identity, we can add an alert to your notes, so we as a Practice know your gender identity.

Importantly patients who have changed their gender marker on their NHS records may not be invited to some of these cancer screenings, meaning there is a risk of missing cancer.   We as a practice will ensure you get called in for your screening opportunities as long as you stay registered with us, but we do need to know your assigned gender at birth to ensure you get called in at the right time.


Trans woman Trans man
Breast screening ü ü

(if you have breast tissue)

Cervical screening û ü

see page 12

Abdominal aortic aneurysm screening ü ?

see page 17

Bowel screening ü ü


Please see NHS screening Guidance for Trans Patients for more information, relating to the table above.

Please see this NHS video on cervical screening in trans men here

Local Support Groups



LGBT+ North East

Support young LGBT+ people aged 11 to 25 with their orientation and gender identity.

Phonelogo     07590 230 077

Facebooklogo      LGBT+ North East




Rainbow Home

Rainbow Home is a charity providing support for LGBT asylum seekers and refugees in the North East of England. Working with people who have fled their countries because of persecution based on their sexual orientation or gender identity. The group meets 3rd Friday of the month.

Phonelogo    07775 861 450

Facebooklogo     Rainbow Home

Twitterlogo   Rainbow Home




Parents Enquiry North East

Parents Enquiry North East offers advice and support for parents of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered sons and daughters.

Phonelogo     0191 455 2868

Facebooklogo      Parents Enquiry North East



Trans services



Northern Region Gender Dysphoria Service  – Peer Support Service

The Peer Support Service is staffed by people with lived experience of gender dysphoria and transition. We are based at the Recovery College in Newcastle, but we provide outreach support from various locations across the region.





Trans Support & Development North is a community support, development and campaigning organisation operating across the North of England. Offering a confidential 1-2-1 bespoke holistic support, advice and advocacy services to all gender diverse individuals and their families, they facilitate a variety of peer groups and social events to promote Trans community cohesion.

BE provide Trans guidance, advice and awareness training to public, private and 3rd sector organisations.

Website   BE






Transgender Young People’s Support Service

Trinity aims to provide an all round package including social groups for all ages, person centred support and guidance for families and professionals. If you don’t see what you need here don’t be afraid to let us know. We’re always open to bright ideas!

Website    Trinity Youth




LGBT Foundation

The LGBT Foundation has a booklet called ‘Beating Around the Bush‘.




Terrence Higgins Trust

The Terrence Higgins Trust have published booklets and webpages on trans sexual health for both Trans Women and Trans Men, which are also non-binary inclusive:



Gendered Intelligence

Gendered Intelligence have also published a booklet on sexual health for young trans and non-binary people and also have information on terminology.

Other resources that might be useful: